1. When does the school year begin?
Classes begin the week of September 21, 2015 and end on June 11, 2016.
2. When is the school recital?
The 20th Annual Student Recital will be held on Saturday, June 11, 2016.
3. When is the school closed?
The school is closed for the following days:
- October 12, 2015 | Columbus Day
- November 11 | Veterans Day
- November 25-30 | Thanksgiving
- December 21-January 4, 2016 | Winter Break
- January 18 | Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- February 15-21 | Mid-winter break
- March 24-28 | Spring Break
- May 28-30 | Memorial Day
CLASSES WILL NOT BE CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER.
4. When is Parent Observation Week?
All Observation Weeks have passed for this school year.
5. What is the dress code for my child?
Pre-Ballet I - Motion Wear leotard, Style #4354, Light Pink with attached skirt.
Pre-Ballet II - Motion Wear leotard, Style #4354, Candy Pink with attached skirt.
Pre-Ballet III - Motion Wear leotard, Style #2149, iris.
All Pre-Ballet girls are to wear white anklet socks, and pink, full sole ballet slippers secured with one elastic strap. Long hair is to be worn in a small flat bun. Short hair is to be covered with a hairnet. All girls are to wear white headbands, secured with bobby pins.
Ballet I - Motion Wear leotard, Style #2149, Sunset coral
Ballet II - Motion Wear leotard, Style #2149, Turquoise
Ballet III - Motion Wear leotard, Style #2149, Teal
All girls in Ballet I, II, & III are required to wear ballet pink, mesh, convertible tights with back seam, by Body Wrappers, Style #C45. Pink ballet slippers should be secured with one elastic strap. Pointe shoes are to be secured with pink ribbons and half-inch elastic or a wide mesh elastic strap if needed.
Pre-Ballet, Ballet I & II: white leotard, Baltogs #0SL132C, black shorts, Baltogs #315
Ballet III: white leotard, Baltogs #0SL132C, heather grey tights, Baltogs #1308F
OnStage Dancewear, located at 197 Madison Avenue (between 34th & 35th Street) offers a 10% discount to all BSNY students. 212-725-1174.
Hair kits with bobby pins, hair pins, hair net and elastic band are on sale in the school office for $2. Headbands may be purchased for $3.
6. Do I write my child's name on their leotard?
All children in Pre-Ballet I, II & III are required to wear white headbands.
7. If my child is sick, should I call the school office?
Please call 212-679-0401 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to report a child's absence from class.
8. Where do I put my stroller? Where do I wait for my child? Can I use my cell phone?
There are chairs available in our lobby on the second floor, but space is very limited. Cell phone use is not permitted in the lobby. We must be respectful to the other organizations sharing the floor.
9. Where does my child change his/her clothes?
Under no circumstances are children to be changed in any area other than the dressing rooms. Please arrive with ample time for your child to change into dance clothes. Undressing your child in the lobby, hallways, stairs, and other areas of the building is not permitted and this rule will be strictly enforced.
10. Are parents allowed in the dressing rooms?
The parents/guardians of Pre-Ballet I & II are allowed to bring their child to the dressing room to change. There are teaching assistants there to help with hair and other needs. Fathers may not go into the women's dressing room. They may wait until the boys are finished dressing and then go in to help their daughter change. Girls may not go into the boy's dressing room while the boys are in their dressing room. No exceptions.
11. Can my child wear nail polish to class?
Nail polish, tattoos and other embellishments are not allowed in any classes at BSNY. Small stud earrings can be worn. Necklaces, bracelets, watches or other pieces of jewelry are not permitted.
12. What are the general policies of the school?
Every student, regardless of how many years he or she has been enrolled in the school, will receive a letter and school policy flyer. Please read the information with your child, then sign and return the form to the school office. We would appreciate your cooperation in keeping the school running smoothly.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the dressing rooms, studio or lobby area.
- The use of electronic games in the dressing room and lobby is prohibited.
- Children will not be permitted in the classroom if more than 5 minutes late.
- Cell phone usage is not permitted in the lobby of the school.